Wednesday, February 21, 2007

belated valentines wishes ...

Well .. here I am. Inspite of my self confessed speculations.
What prompted me to write this post is a radio ad that I heard
on my way to office today. Some perky RJ urged people to buy
jewellery for that someone special. She impressed upon us how
we could save our hard earned dough with valentines day offer
still on and get to adorn our romantic interests at a cheaper
price. Now, I don’t want to get subjective on the whole issue..
but it got me thinking ( one thing I love to do) ..
Is valentines day all about this?
Getting people to gift each other to testify their undying love.
It is well past the 14th but hoopla refuses to die down. Not
that I am averse to celebrations.. what makes me sick is the way
people feel obliged to gift each other on one particular day. I
see it as a larger ploy of the capitalists to make a mockery of
an emotion as pure as love(hey hey.. I have no leftist affiliations
in case u thought so)..If valentines day is all about expressing
love , then for people in love everyday should be a valentines day..
and in place of that tiny piece of rock on which blood is being shed
in a mindless way( courtesy "blood diamond" :)), a warm hug would
do the needful .. more adventurous people could settle the matter
with a lingering kiss ;)

belated happy valentines day …

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nicely written dude!!! :)...even i share d same feelings about valentines day ..n to stay away from buying gifts i gave my guy a handmade photoframe n a handmade card!!! tried to be creative!! he he:)

Shy Machete said...

hmmm... when love is'nt pure, how can you not milk that, i'd say? For poepl who r secure enough (read: dont get mad if they dont get a gift) everyday is valentine's day.

Srishti A Singh said...

Nice one dude... i liked it... :))